FAST:Bartolomeo is our Facility for Australian Space Testing, which is our ‘All-In-One Mission Service’ for payloads of less than 60 kg. The FAST:Bartolomeo payload will be installed onto the Airbus DS Bartolomeo platform on the International Space Station (ISS), providing access to space for a 12-month period. With this service, our customers can save up to 50% of the costs compared to commercial satellite LEO missions, enabling missions that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive.
What this service covers:
- Assistance with ensuring that your payload(s) meet flight requirements. However it is your responsibility to conduct payload verification to ensure it meets all relevant ISS and space safety standards.
- Integration of your payload into the FAST:Bartolomeo payload, connecting it to the box’s power and data supply systems.
- Transportation of the assembled FAST:Bartolomeo payload to Airbus DS for launch.
- Installation on the ISS with 12 months of power and data.
- Disposal of the payload in Earth’s atmosphere.
Key advantages of FAST:Bartolomeo:
- Lower the cost and complexity of space-proving new technology by an order of magnitude.
- Improve the value of your products by bringing the technology readiness level (TRL) from 4 to potentially 7 with space verification.
- Ease of access and cheaper access to Low Earth Orbit (LEO).
Base Payload Box Specifications:
- FAST:Bartolomeo payload has a maximum geometric envelope of 1000 x 830 x 640mm as it must be able to fit within the primary ISS airlock; payloads are not constrained to stick to within this envelope post-installation onto the Bartolomeo platform. If you wish to extend structures from your payload during on-orbit operations, that can be accommodated.
- The maximum gross total mass of the Bartolomeo payload is 125kg.
- Up to 250W of power is available from the ISS.
- Up to 120V is available, with 5, 12 and 24 VDC connections available for use.
- Communications allow for up to 100 Mbit/s downlink via an ethernet connection to the payload.
- Your payload must meet the safety requirements up set by Airbus DS’ latest documentation.
- Payloads can view Space (‘Zenith’), Earth (‘Nadir’), perpendicular to Zenith and Nadir (‘Limb’), or even directly ahead of the ISS (Ram).
- Pointing stabilisation is provided by the ISS so that it is optimised for and will always point in those directions.
- We offer flexible payload sizes between 1 and 59kg.
- The FAST:Bartolomeo payload will be in a pressurised transport to the ISS.
- The payload will be installed onto the Bartolomeo platform by robotic arm.
- Frequent access to ISS with commercial resupply service flights. The
Airbus DS Bartolomeo service enables short mission lead times of 12 – 18 months
- For safety reasons, Astronauts will not be allowed access into the FAST:Bartolomeo payload.
- At this stage, payloads will have to provide own active heating and cooling if required.
The FAST:Bartolomeo lifecycle:
- Fill out the expression of interest form to give us an idea of your preliminary payload requirements.
- Sign a contract with a 15% deposit to lock-in placement on the payload and the terms of payment.
- Design your payload according to the your desired and the required specifications.
- Build the project and put it through safety testing to meet all appropriate safety requirements.
- Hand over the project for integration into the FAST Bartolomeo Box by the end of June/July 2018.
- We then integrate your project into the system and send it to Airbus DS in late 2018.
- Your project will launch in mid-2019 and you start receiving data when it has been successfully installed onto the ISS.
Pricing starts from AUD$70,000/kg. Each kg ensures 1% of available services will be provided. If your payload requires anything outside of the percentage allocated to it, it may be available subject to negotiation.